Calling all Bakers!
Sunday, October 2, 10:00 AM
Blumauer Auditorium Kitchen
This year we are offering eight different one-stop experiences:
Family Fun: Ice Cream Bar & Boating on Fairview Lake
A Grecian Holiday Dinner & Boat Cruise
An Evening in Italy
Vegetarian Mexican Fiesta!
A Friday Southern Supper on Saturday Night
Parisian Champagne Brunch
Brunch by the Sandy River
Look over the menus and choose your dinner or brunch – or both! Invite your friends. Meet new people. Sample new foods. Everyone is welcome! Proceeds benefit the Rita Lubliner Sisterhood Leadership Fund and NFTY (our CBI youth program) Scholarships.
Reservations: Please call Tracy in the CBI office for credit card payments at 503-222-1069. Or you can mail your check, payable to Congregation Beth Israel, along with your email address, phone number, and names of each member of your party to:
Congregation Beth Israel, Attn: Progressive Dinner
1972 NW Flanders St.
Portland, OR 97209
As a courtesy to our hosts, all fees must be paid in advance. While all payments will be handled by CBI, you cannot charge this event to your CBI account.
Please RSVP by September 22nd for the September events.
Please RSVP by October 19th for the October events.
Are you unable to attend? Please consider a donation, payable to CBI, marked as a donation to Sisterhood. Thank you!
Cedar Sinai Outreach
Gift Shop Happenings
The Gift Shop will re-open in September and will be open while religious school is in session:
Thursdays – 4:30 PM - 6:00 PM
Fridays – 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Sundays – 9:15 AM - 12:15 PM
Please come in and shop. Gift Shop proceeds benefit our religious school.
Find Your Ancestral Roots
Be A Mensch
Please be a mensch both beneath and outside our dome! How can you be a mensch for Sisterhood? This list gives you all the information, the websites, and the links for everything menschy. Greet, sell, shelve, lead, cook, stuff, or bake. These are among the paths to mensch-hood. You can be a mensch once a year, weekly, or when you have time. Please look at the options; sign up, send an email, and be engaged in our community. We need your help; be a mensch!
- MONITOR The doors and be welcoming helper at our religious school, ensuring the safe arrival and departure of our students. Learn more and sign up here.
- SELL Judaica in the Sisterhood Gift Shop
- GREET Members for Shabbat and High Holiday Services Sign up here.
The Sisterhood Report Card
The Sisterhood Report Cardwas available at the Annual Meeting. Here are the numbers and the significant achievements:
- 251 Sisterhood Members
- 4 Women sent to URJ Biennial/WRJ Assembly in Orlando, FL
- $6300 Money raised by the Progressive Dinner, Arts & Accessory and Bake Sales, and Sisterhood Leadership Circle
- $8000 Gift Shop Sales
- $6800 Annual donation to Religious School, Preschool, and Camp Kalsman
- $12,800 Purchase of 500 new High Holiday Prayer Books, including large print books
- $1800 Donation to first CBI Women's Seder, to assure inclusion
- 25 Engagement opportunities for Sisterhood and for CBI members during 5776
- Given Women of Reform Judaism Or Ami Light of My People Awards for Exceptional Programming
- Reinvention of the Goldsmith & Spear Library, purchasing of furniture, new adult and children's books, and three laptops loaded with ancestry.com. Visit the new Amy R. Goldsmith/Spear Research Library page
- Creation of five Special Sundays featuring CBI member speakers on topics ranging from Being Jewish in PDX (Lisa & David Sarasohn) to The Forgotten Native American History of Portland (Tracy Price) to Growing Up Jewish in the Deep South (Ann & Lewis Young)
- Sponsorship of the Special Community Seder for over 50 members of the Portland Jewish Community, and ongoing support of Goose Hollow Family Shelter and Cedar Sinai Park
- Led Tot Shabbats to help educate young children and promote engagement of young families and gave cell phone-free driving pledge cards to Religious School high school students and staff
- Sent 80 care packages to college students and military personnel at Chanukah and at Purim
Next Generation (NG) Sisterhood
Are you in your 20's or 30's or do you know a woman in her 20's or 30's who wants to learn more about Beth Israel Sisterhood, but isn't sure if it is right for her?
The Many Faces of Dementia
Listen to the program. Click on the audio recording featured at top right of the page.
Thanks to all who attended our April 6th forum discussing “The Many Faces of Dementia.”Dementia is not a specific disease. It's an overall term that describes a wide range of symptoms associated with a decline in memory or other thinking skills severe enough to reduce a person's ability to perform everyday activities. Symptoms can also include changes in personality, mood, and behavior. Dementia develops when the parts of the brain that are involved with learning, memory, decision-making, and language are affected by one or more of a variety of infections or diseases. The most common cause of dementia is Alzheimer's disease, but there are as many as 50 other known causes.
Our guest speakers were David Douglas, MD, an expert on dementia with board certifications in psychiatry and geriatric psychiatry, who has worked in the field for the last 20 years; and Shelly Edwards, Outreach and Program Director, Oregon Chapter of the Alzheimer's Association®. We were also joined by Cantor Ida Rae Cahana.
New Way to Give: Pay Online for Dues and Donations
Now you can pay your sisterhood dues or make a donation to any of the sisterhood funds online on the CBI website! It's easy. Click here. After you fill in your name and contact information, look down to "Choose a fund. " This has a drop down menu with lots of choices. Look at the lower portion of the drop down list for the sisterhood funds. Right below the funds list is "WRJ Beth Israel Sisterhood Annual Dues Contribution." It is as easy as choosing the fund or dues and indicating how much you wish to contribute.
Our dues are:
- $18 child/student (Ruth)
- $36 (Sarah)
- $54 (Rachel)
- $72 (Deborah)
- $108 (Miriam)
Our funds are:
- Bikkur Holim - Hope in Life
- Prayer Book ($36 each)
- Service to the Blind
- Sisterhood Furnishings
- Sisterhood Programming, Leadership, & Enrichment
Thanks for supporting your sisterhood.
Are You the Parent of a College Student or a US-Based Member of the Military?
The Sisterhood College Communications Committee is updating our mailing list of CBI members who are current college students or US-based members of the military. We send two packages a year, usually at Chanukah and Purim, to keep in touch with our kids, let them know we're thinking of them, and to wish them well while they're away at school or the military. We send the Jewish Mother's version of a care package, with packets of soup and cocoa, dreidels and gelt, or hamentashen and groggers. We include a student directory, a note from Rabbi Cahana, and anything else we think might interest/benefit them. We also slip in a Starbucks or iTunes gift card when possible.
This is a free service made possible by funds directly budgeted by our sisterhood, member donors, and the Urman Family College Communication Fund. The next time you plan to give a tribute, please consider the Urman Family College Communication Fund.
Your membership makes the difference. We are stronger together. Your dues support our religious & pre-schools and special projects here at CBI, as well as our work with those in need in our community, and provide significant support to our parent organization, Women of Reform Judaism (WRJ). Sisterhood is one of the most vital organizations at Congregation Beth Israel.
We invite you to join us by becoming a member or renewing your membership.
Did you know that unless you indicate payment be applied specifically to your Sisterhood dues, all payments will go to your CBI dues and other fees first? Please support Sisterhood by paying your dues today. Dues levels are:
- $18 child/student (Ruth)
- $36 (Sarah)
- $54 (Rachel)
- $72 (Deborah)
- $108 (Miriam)
You can check the "Sisterhood Dues" box on your CBI billing or send a check, payable to Congregation Beth Israel, marked "WRJ/BIS Dues."
You can also now pay your dues online! Click here to do so. After you fill in your name and contact information, look down to "Choose a fund. " This has a drop down menu with lots of choices. Look at the lower portion of the drop down list for the sisterhood funds. Right below the funds list is "WRJ Beth Israel Sisterhood Annual Dues Contribution."